Workplace Sans is a TrueType font designed to resemble WarpSans to
varying degrees (depending on configuration). It is recommended or
required by various software, including http://OpenOffice.org, QT4, and the Mozilla family of applications. Version 0.91 is now available in
Hobbes incoming, and at http://www.altsan.org/creative/fonts/workplace/
In the year since the last public release, I have started studying font design more seriously. Many of the principles that I've learned
have been applied in this latest release. These include better optical
balance, use of ink traps, improved counter shapes, and an overhaul of
letter spacing according to recommended techniques. (All of these are
mainly visible at larger sizes.)
As usual, version 0.91 is released in two versions: a "plain" version
and a "bitmap-enhanced" version. The latter version is recommended for
people who prefer the appearance of the classic WarpSans bitmap font
(bitmaps are included for four point sizes in the 7-12 point range depending on
screen DPI). The plain version will show antialiased text
at all sizes.
Semi-detailed list of changes since version 0.90:
17 October 2012 (Alex Taylor) Workplace Sans 0.91
- (Light) Added vertical overshoots.
- (Light) A few more characters now included in build.
- (Bold) Lightened horizontal stems a little.
- (Bold) Added various Baltic and other characters.
- Increased horizontal overshoots in Regular and Bold weights.
- Upped UPM to 1024 (from 1000).
- Smoothed and reshaped counters throughout.
- Many glyph tweaks & improvements.
- Reworked glyph spacing according to Walter Tracy's method.
17 April 2012 (Alex Taylor) - not released
- (Normal) Tweaked the tail of the 'g' slightly.
- Fractionally increased the width of the 'N'.
- Modified the 'w' and 'W' to bring the central vertex up to the full
character height. (This is a slight departure from WarpSans but having
them lower just looked ugly.)
- Changed the 'a' (again). Now the cross-stroke is slightly higher and
flows smoothly into the stem. The glyph shape has been changed in other
subtle ways as well.
[Moderator's note: All posts are sent without guarantee to the
accuracy of the content. We try to verify details and URLs but
this is an entirely volunteer run list, so 100% fact checking and
the quality/useability of products announced here is impossible.
If you respond to this post please remove the DESPAM from the
poster's email addresses. Please do not send requests for information
about a specific post to the moderator unless it is an update or I